Labels

Portrait (303) Travel (210) Food or Coffee (116) Trip (93) Landscape (92) Thailand (56) Selangor (51) Vietnam (45) Kuala Lumpur (44) Wedding (41) Japan (40) Video (37) Pulau Pinang (32) Gone Big (29) Over Night (29) Event (26) Hong Kong (24) Pahang (24) Korea (23) Perak (13) Dairy (11) Melaka (11) Cambodia (10) China (6) Flora (5) Macau (5) Negeri Sembilan (4) Fauna (3) For Sale (2) Kedah (2) Kuantan (2) Indonesia (1) Johor (1) Pulau Langkawi (1) Taiwan (1)

Friday, March 23, 2012

Ban Huai Seau - The Long Neck Village in Mae Hong Son

I never expect that we need to cross so many river in order for us to reach the Long Neck Village...

According to the driver, when during the raining season, we are not able to come in to the village by vehicle due to the water level of the river will raise up more than 2 or 3 feet. 
This is the village whereby is the most easy accessible... and there are 2 more which is more deeper in the forest and one of it you require to travel with long boats about an hour to reach the village...
To be frank, this village is much more larger than what I expected compare to the one I visited in Myanmar. 

I found this on the internet after I done some reading about the Long Neck Village... and the article is simply hit my attention really hard... Human Zoos?

"I asked the taxi driver we had hired for the day whether he knew a village where a Long Neck hilltribe lived. He had just taken us to a Hmong village and I thought it would be interesting checking this other tribe as well. The case was that the guy did know a place and I asked him to take us there. I was a kind of surprised where we entered a gate since villages these days have no longer walls and gates; I noted it was odd and kept going. Then we parked the vehicle and headed to a counter; still a kind of strange since visiting villages should not come for a fee; moreover the ticket was ridiculous expensive for the price standards of the area. Still, I bought the tickets and kept going. Then we walked to what was a main street in a kind of theme park, lined-up with wooden homes in front of which these women were selling art-crafts while basically putting themselves on display for the tourists to snap photos. I snapped few photos myself, then the situation was so odd I started feeling unease and left the place. On our way back I browsed the internet for some more insight and I finally found about the controversy about those "cultural preservation" villages. It is a good business for everyone: for the Administration since those villages boost tourism in the area, for the entrepreneurs who run the villages because of the good revenues and apparently for the tribes as well since they can afford a standard of living they couldn't in their home country by simply putting their women on display. Whatever your view about the controversy, it still makes sense to call these places with their real name: human zoos."


To me, this is more look like a Merchant Market rather than a village...

Funny thing... did you realize that, we found a notice board over there and what written on it is "Tourist Information"

Perhaps she is the eldest one in the Village as what we know, now of days the younger one will no long need to tie up their neck till this long... and even they don't do so ... so for years to come... these people will only be legend...

Tell you what, they are very smart the they are fast in reaction... when you just raise up your camera and point at them, they will show you a smiling face... as the purpose are very simple... get something from them... I felt this is too commercialize... Gosh... 

Here is the inner part of the village after the Merchant Street... I did not took my effort to walk in as I found it is quite empty and you hardly can see people around here...I wondering where all the people gone... or by real... the village is just built to make money from the Tourists?



Guess What... She able to communicate with the Tourist in English....